Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Class of 1966 Reunion

Yesterday, at the Class of 1966 Reunion, I felt nothing but gratitude.
To have made it this far.
To know what I know.
To know what I don't.
To love the folks I love.
And to be loved of them.
Along the way, a lot of friends.
Friends for a bit of time.
Friends for all the years.
Friends forgotten.
Friendship renewed.
Couldn't recognize anyone.
But take a few moments and some chat.
It's the eyes that are the same.
And the smile.
And like wiping a fogged mirror.
Yesterday's image appears.
On the back of the program.
A list.
Of those no longer here.
It's sad, for sure.
My throat clinched.
At the Commencement,
We sang.
Several thousand of us sang.
"This Is My Father's World" ...
I choked a few times.
Thanks to Calvin College for putting it all together.
Not a beat was missed.
Choreographed with kindness.
Memories, laughter, and the steady beat of love.
And the gracious reminders of something divine.
We are not alone in this life.
Nor are we our own.
But we belong.
To a gracious God.
Now, and forevermore.
It's been a remarkable weekend.
Gratitude running deep.
Love all around.
Thanksgiving for what has been.
The courage to live, here and now.
Hope for what shall be.
And that's the way it is for me.
Of the Class of 1966.

No comments:

Post a Comment