Friday, March 11, 2011

The Ideal Husband??? - hee hee ...

    The Ideal Husband to His Wife

      WE'VE lived for forty years, dear wife,
        And walked together side by side,
      And you to-day are just as dear
        As when you were my bride.
      I've tried to make life glad for you,
        One long, sweet honeymoon of joy,
      A dream of marital content,
        Without the least alloy.
      I've smoothed all boulders from our path,
        That we in peace might toil along,
      By always hastening to admit
        That I was right and you were wrong.
      No mad diversity of creed
        Has ever sundered me from thee;
      For I permit you evermore
        To borrow your ideas of me.
      And thus it is, through weal or woe,
        Our love forevermore endures;
      For I permit that you should take
        My views and creeds, and make them yours.
      And thus I let you have my way,
        And thus in peace we toil along,
      For I am willing to admit
        That I am right and you are wrong.
      And when our matrimonial skiff
        Strikes snags in love's meandering stream,
      I lift our shallop from the rocks,
        And float as in a placid dream.
      And well I know our marriage bliss
        While life shall last will never cease;
      For I shall always let thee do,
        In generous love, just what I please.
      Peace comes, and discord flies away,
        Love's bright day follows hatred's night;
      For I am ready to admit
        That you are wrong and I am right.
      Sam Walter Foss


Sam Walter Foss (June 19, 1858 - February 26, 1911) was a librarian and whose works included The House by the Side of the Road and The Coming American.

Do I need to say, the above is a delightful tongue-in-cheek description of the "ideal" husband ... but I suspect some guys might miss the point.

D is shaking her head right now ... she does that a lot with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment