Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Treasure in Heaven???

I’ve been thinking lately … yikes …

About a little note from Jesus, “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be.”

I always thought it should be the other way around, “Where you heart is, there will your treasure be.”

But as of late, I’ve concluded, Jesus understood how it all works for us.

Most of us most of the time are dealing with treasure of one sort or the other, and our heart follows. Whatever the treasure, that’s where the heart goes.

As one pundit put it, “Show me your checkbook, and I’ll tell you where your heart is.”

I’ve got treasure in some less than helpful places … maybe you do, too.

Hence Jesus says, “store up treasure for yourselves in heaven” – that is, in God!

Maybe Jesus helps me be a little more realistic about all of this, so that I can do something about it, and even if I can’t do anything about it right now, I can at least rely upon the grace of God – a grace that loves you and me as we are – a grace that compels us to think deeply about who we are and what we value.

It’s always a good time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment