Saturday, December 6, 2008

Merry Christmas ... or Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas … or is it Happy Holidays?

There was a time when I was reluctant to say Happy Holidays, but I’ve changed.

Sure, I love Christmas and all that it means … and Christ is very much a part of my life.

But I like the fact that we live in a huge country with lots of different peoples and religions, perspectives and philosophies … and a lot of holidays during this time of the year.

When it comes to language, it’s important for me to be thoughtful and make timely shifts.

Like when I shifted my race language: from Negro to Black, and now mostly to African American.

And when I shifted from “mankind” to humanity, from fireman to fire fighter (a lot more exciting) and policeman to police officer, and so on.

Language changes with the times, and thoughtful people try to get ahead of the times. 

Though we often said to Mr. Lowenstein, “Merry Christmas,” and Mr. Lowenstein said it back to us, we might well say now, “Happy Hanukah” or just “Happy Holidays.” I think it’s easier, and it’s more thoughtful!

I don’t need the world to remind me that Jesus is reason for the season. No, that’s up to me, and it’s up to you, if you’re a Christian. And just saying it because we can, I don’t think that accomplishes very much. I think for some it’s just a power play, and that never feels very good to me.

As for the world, it’s right and good for me to be mindful of my Muslim and Jewish neighbors, not to mention a host of others and likely some who are professed atheists. I bear witness, not by overbearing, but with gentleness and humility; not by saying “Merry Christmas,” but by living it every day of my life.

I think that’s what language is mostly about – whether it be race or gender, or thoughtfulness about other religions and perspectives – as Micah said, “Love kindness.”

Christians can rightly say to one another, Merry Christmas, but when it comes to the salesperson behind the counter, to our neighbor who’s a Muslim, to the stranger on the street, for me, it’s Happy Holidays.

So, dear friend, Happy Holidays, to you, and for this very large world of ours. And if you’re a Christian, a very Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. I have never read an essay, like this, that so articulately and elequantly expresses the idea of general sensitivity, respect and a mindfulness of how we can honor our nation's wonderful diversity.
    As a Chritian, I read your essay and think about Christ's command to love our neighbors...and we can honor them too that their beliefs and traditions might be different from ours...Jesus and his teaching is big enough to handle that without me feeling I have to yell out over the rooftops of the world I do so in his (His) name...Merry Christmas Tom...and Happy Holidays too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Tom . . . . . your taking the easy road out of this issue. Christians should be working on changing the worlds perceptions of what 'Merry Christmas' should mean. NO MORE 'one way' or 'I am the only way' business. Have we forgotten just how beautiful this world really is. Rich in color with life's many permutations, twists and turns. Just go to another planet and see the reverse. Celebrating this, we say 'Merry Christmas' to all. Likewise the Jewish tradition and others have their own sayings which are just as meaningful . This is not some sort of competition but a celebration.


    If we continue down the path of isolating ourselves based on our faiths or even non-faith we are doomed. While saying 'Happy Holidays' seems to be a band aid for now it will not address the real problem. Christians need to work really hard at dealing with inter-faith issues. I keep saying another 'Reformation' is in order to help accomplish this. Is there a part in this for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put Tom. Someone attempted to chastise me once for saying "Happy Christmas" at church. I had to explain a number of things to him -- (1) don't jump to conclusions before I've finished my statement; I was using the word Christmas, (2) I don't know what *Merry* means, and (3)my people are from the West Indies and there we say "Happy Christmas".

    I send holiday cards rather than Christmas cards because there is more than one holiday during this season and my collection of friends celebrates all of them.

    Your statement is a nice reminder to those whose lens is a bit narrowed by Christian privilege and entitlement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Karen's comments. I really thought it was well put. I am reinforced in my belief that we as a child of God, I am free to greet people as I wish, always being considerate. I have often used Happy Holidays in my greeting to people whose form of or lack of faith, I do not know.

    At times some of my Christian brothers or sisters tried to make me feel guilty about not saying Merry Christmas. Ought my Jewish friends say Happy Hannukah!

    Now that so many of us spend more time and money on gift exchange and dinner than on the event of Christmas, maybe we Christians might say "I wish you a holy Christmas" and maybe add "Happy Easter!" for without Easter there would be no Christmas and so I wish you all
    ¡Feliz Navidad y Feliz Pascual.

    Laurel Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me...I'm a Merry Christmas guy. Unless I know otherwise that you celebrate another faith. Then I say Happy Hanukah, or whatever applies.
    I am not Greek or Roman or Palestinian and I have never studied at Vatican City, but I am relatively sure the root of Christmas is Christ Mass, right? A Mass celebrating the birth of Christ.
    So, I don't much care about political correctness when it comes to Christmas. Hanukah is not a national holiday when banks are closed, and Qwansa does not keep retail stores in business. Nor does congress recess because of Ramadan. All that happens because we celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas in this nation and most others.
    Tom's essay is not the easy road Harry Harris, quite to the contrary for a preacher to take such a humanistic stand. Take your shots from afar Harry...God bless America and the internet, but, please...I beg you...to try and make a point that someone besides you can interpret. I honestly have no idea what you were trying to say except that it appears you don't care much for Eggebeen. He's a powerful good preacher Harry... and we had as many folks at 'regular' church today as I have seen in years!!!

    Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and Peace above all.
    -Mikal Kartvedt

    ReplyDelete